Cowley Park

This small park between West Sixth and Seventh Avenue off Division is nestled in the South Hill Medical Complex. This area was where the Spokane Indians established their winter quarters but when Reverend Henry T. Cowley arrived with his family in 1874, it became the site of the Cowley home and first public school in Spokane.

Reverend Henry T. Cowley was taken by the "delightful little stream of water winding its way through the hills." This spring still runs through the two-acre site. While there are no buildings left. Cowley planted the three grand trees in the park, a maple, an ash, and a sycamore, all are still standing today.

Cowley was an early Spokane pioneer and was most known for the relationship he built with the Spokane Tribe. Once the public school was built he allowed Native American children to attend his school until a separate school was built for them. Cowley is also known for his early accounts of Spokane which were printed in the Spokane Daily Chronicle and in a book by Clifford M. Drury called, A Teepee in his Front Yard: H.T. Cowley and the Founding of Spokane.

The park was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

Images

Spokane Map Circa 1909

Spokane Map Circa 1909

Image scanned from Northwest Room, Spokane Public Library, Spokane, WA. View File Details Page

Map of Spokan Falls circa 1893

Map of Spokan Falls circa 1893

Image scanned from map at Northwest Room, Spokane Public Library, Spokane WA. View File Details Page

Child at Cowley Park date unknown

Child at Cowley Park date unknown

Image from the Photograph Collection at the Northwest Room, Spokane Public Library, Spokane, WA. View File Details Page

Park Sign

Park Sign

Image taken by Tracy L. Rebstock 2012 View File Details Page

Memorial to the Cowleys

Memorial to the Cowleys

Image taken by Tracy L. Rebstock 2012 View File Details Page

Audio

Audio - Excerpt from A Teepee in His Front Yard

Audio excerpt is read from A Teepee in His Front Yard by Clifford M. Drury, 1949, page 187 View File Details Page

Video

Cowley Park

Images courtesy of Westminister Congregational United Church of Christ website Spokane, WA, Spokesman Review March 1947, and images and video taken by Tracy L. Rebstock 2012. View File Details Page

Cite this Page:

Tracy L. Rebstock, “Cowley Park,” Spokane Historical, accessed March 23, 2017, http://spokanehistorical.org/items/show/116.
comments powered by Disqus

Share this Story