High Bridge Park has had a variety of uses including a motor camp, sanitarium for tuberculosis, temporary home to a steam locomotive, federal housing for veterans, a potential zoo site, a dude ranch offer, a dump, and currently it is home to a dog park and a frisbee golf course.
Since the 1910s, the city has had difficulty deciding what to do with this scenic area along the banks of Hangman (Latah) Creek. In 1931 a petition was submitted to put in a pool at High Bridge, in 1943 federal public housing was built for families and veterans from Geiger and Fairchild Air Force Bases during World War II. In 1955 an old steam locomotive #3206, from the Union Pacific Railroad was moved from Portland to Spokane to be on display at High Bridge Park. This display was met with great fanfare but was short lived as vandals started looting the train for valuable parts. A caretaker was placed on site, but eventually the train was moved to the fairgrounds for safe keeping in 1985.
In 1988 the park board went on a retreat to discuss the future of High Bridge Park and no decisions were made as the group could not reach consensus. Today, the park includes trails, a dog park, frisbee golf, swimming, picnic facilities, and views of both Latah (Hangman) Creek and the Spokane River.