Huston, first constructed in 1915, is one of the oldest buildings on the EWU campus. Over the years, the building became known for its versatility and its association with technical vocations. It was known as the Manual Arts Building from 1915-1932, the Industrial Arts Building from 1932-1969, and the Maintenance Shop from 1969-1981. After a three-year remodel, it was renamed the Computer Science Building in1984.
Following the opening of the new Computer Engineering Building in 2005, the facility's function switched to general instruction. It also houses office space for Information Technology Support staff. In 2006, it was renamed after former English professor and EWU benefactor Frances B. Huston.
Perhaps the most interesting thing about Huston Hall is the fact that it is so uninteresting. Throughout its nearly 100-year history, the building has not been heavily renovated (at least not to the extent of Patterson Hall). Nor does it have a reputation for hauntings like other older buildings (though this may have something to do with the fact that it was never a dormitory). It has simply served its purpose, becoming known to students mainly as "the old building that looks like an L".