Knight's Diner is a restaurant in Spokane, Washington. Knight's diner was formerly part of Hillyard, Washington, a bustling railroad town on the north eastern edge of Spokane. Hillyard was incorporated into the city of Spokane in 1924, taking Knight's Diner with it. Knight's diner came into existence when Jack Knight left his job at the restaurant of the famous Davenport hotel. Jack had decided to open his own restaurant, however instead of the imported marble of the Davenport, Knight decided to fashion his restaurant out of an old Northern Pacific Rail Road car.
The former rail car was commissioned by Barney And Smith Co, a rail car company based out of Ohio. It was detailed by the Pullman Car Company out of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. The rail car was given the car number 988 and entered service in 1906 as a luxury dining car. Car 988 ran the Yellowstone route for the Northern Pacific Railroad until 1920, when it was retired. Retirement did not mean the end of car 988, however. The rail car also saw service in World War II, where it served as an induction hall for soldier's joining the military.
Knight's was moved from its original location in 1989, after it was purchased by its current owner from the Knight family. The rail car was transported on a large flatbed trailer. Upon arriving at its current location, the rail car was repainted and re opened to the public. Everything inside the diner is all original, save for the biscuits and gravy option of the menu, which was also added in 1989. The burger's are pretty good, too.