The Blake-Ahlquist-Woolcott House (or just the "Woolcott House") was built in 1902 for Jacob M. Blake, an attorney at the Blake and Adams firm. Blake was the son of a noteworthy judge, Richard B. Blake, who served in the superior court of Spokane county and Stevens county districts. Judge Blake was known for being "faultless in honor, fearless in conduct and stainless in reputation," according to early Spokane historian Nelson Wayne Durham.
The Woolcott House is typical of Craftsman Style with its low pitched roof, shingled siding, artisan crafted details, and use of local materials, like basalt. After the house was bought by Dr. Tory Maurice Ahlquist in 1912, a second story was added in 1917, and then a carriage house was also built on the property in 1919. Both of these additions maintained the Craftsman Style.
Dr. Ahlquist was a surgeon who was born in Sweden and raised in Nebraska. During World War II, Dr. Ahlquist helped recruit young doctors to assist in the war effort. He was recognized for his efforts with a certificate of commendation from President Harry S. Truman, and a selective service board medal.
The last of the house's namesakes, Bloys and Marie Frances Woolcott, moved-in in 1949. Marie was an accomplished Washingtonian woman. Graduated from Wenatchee High School, she went on to study interior design at the University of Washington and Columbia University. She became a member of the Business and Professional Women's Organization and served as the organizations president in 1941 and 1942. Her most renowned accomplishment, however, was her involvement in selling war bonds during World War II. She managed to band together 3000 women who raised 97 million dollars towards the war effort. Marie and Bloys resided at the Woolcott House until 2001 when Marie passed away at the age of 93.