The Smith Cottage is both architecturally and historically interesting. Built in 1912 by Charles R. Wood, the Smith Cottage is also commonly referred to as the Smith House (not to be confused with the Dorthy Darby Smith House, also in Spokane). The cottage is a well-kept example of a Tudor Style, or "Tudor Revival Style," house with a high, steep roof, and characteristic half-timbering siding.
Edwin A. Smith, with a background in law and the news industry, came to Spokane in 1892 and soon found a job working for the Spokesman Review. He commissioned Charles R. Wood to build his house in the West Central neighborhood because it was conveniently located near his wife's sister's residence at 1408 N Summit Blvd. His wife's sister was the second wife of the "Father of Spokane," James N. Glover. Also of note, Charles Wood supposedly worked for Kirtland K. Cutter, who was a renowned architect who built many prominent and lasting structures in Spokane.
By 1915, the ambitious Smith was editorial manager of the Spokesman Review, the magazine Agricultural Age, and the journals The Washington Farmer, The Oregon Farmer, and The Idaho Farmer. Smith was also an active advocate of rural life - supporting agricultural education and farming clubs.
Smith passed away in 1938, but is remembered as "a tireless crusader for improving farm life" according to Spokane's Historic Register.