DescriptionOn November 22, 1949 a barrack was purchased from Geiger Field for a new recreation center in Peaceful Valley. While in transit, the building slid onto the pavement at First and Monroe in downtown Spokane. The equipment had collapsed under the weight of the structure and the movers were forced to leave it on the pavement overnight. The next morning the building continued its journey to Peaceful Valley.
The narrow entrance into Peaceful Valley caused more problems for the movers. At one point the building was hanging over the embankment and tension was high. The movers finally overcame the obstacle and the new recreation center arrived at its new home otherwise unharmed.
The center was funded by the Junior League of Spokane. Their dream was to give the children of Peaceful Valley a safe place to play and learn.The much anticipated recreation center was open to the public on June 9th, 1950. Activities including arts and crafts and outdoor games were offered to the residents of the Valley. The center became a common ground in Peaceful Valley. Meetings and potluck dinners helped knit the community together. In this center the citizens of the Valley had a voice and could discuss concerns and issues.
Today, the recreation center is still a thriving part of the Peaceful Valley community. The center is now call the Lower Falls Community Center. Outreach programs are offered to many people from all walks of life. There is a children's program that is free of charge and offers after school activities including structured study time, crafts and outings. The center also operates a food bank on Friday mornings called Enough to Eat, and a free clothing program.