Spokane Fire Department

The Spokane Fire Department has a rich history dating back to 1884, when the city was known as Spokane Falls. Over the years, the fire department has developed from a volunteer-only to professional organization serving the vast needs of the City of Spokane. Read through each station to learn a little more about the history of the Spokane Fire Department.

Spokane Fire Station No. 2: Spokane's First Firefighters

Spokane's Fire Department began with Station No. 1 and Station No. 2. After forming the Spokane Falls Volunteer Fire Department in 1884, Rescue Hose No. 1, made up of "white-collar men," and Spokane Hose Company No. 2, made up of…

Spokane Fire Station No. 3: Hoses, Water, and Engines

Spokane boomed in the 1890s. Mining, timber, agriculture, and transportation fueled the growth of the city, from less than twenty thousand in 1890 to thirty-seven thousand ten years later. A growing city needed enhanced fire protection, and so Fire…

Spokane Fire Station No. 4: In the Line of Duty

Constructed in 1899, ten years after the Great Fire of 1889, Station No. 4 was originally located at 1304 West First Avenue. No. 4 has been relocated numerous times, due to efforts to expand the departments' emergency response area. In its early…

Spokane Fire Station No. 6: A Burning Issue

Originally constructed in 1900, Station No. 6 was first located at 504 E. 8th. This station was built entirely by the firefighters themselves, and although they did not get extra pay, they did get Sundays off, making volunteers easy to come by. In…

Spokane Fire Station No. 7: Unsung Equine Heroes

Erected in 1904 and opened in January 1905, the first Station No. 7 was located at the northeast corner of First and Magnolia. In efforts to purchase a flag and landscaping trees, a benefit dance was put on, successfully raising $150. This was the…

Spokane Fire Station No. 8: Firemen Tournaments

Built almost identical to Station No. 7 around 1911, Station No. 8 was located on the northeast corner of Sinto and Cochran. It closed in September of 1933, and was razed by 1936, not to be rebuilt again until 1957 in an effort to spread out stations…

Spokane Fire Station No. 9: Old Nine

In 1908 the first Station No. 9 was constructed on this site to serve Spokane's newest neighborhood, the growing South Hill. No. 9 housed one combination truck and chemical engine, one 3rd class Silsby engine, one hose wagon, cotton hose,…

Spokane Fire Station No. 11: Unionizing for the Community

Station No. 11 was another stick cottage-style station for the fire department. It was built in 1910 and located at 2711 S. Grand Avenue. The original station was razed in 1936, with the new station opening up in 1939. The rebuilt station was one of…

Spokane Fire Station No. 12: Blazes of Finger Pointing

Slated to last 100 years, Station No. 12 was erected of brick and mortar in 1912, located at 2307 E. Glass Avenue. No. 12 was the last station built to house horses, and every station since has been designed as a horizontal cement structure.…

Spokane Fire Station No. 14: Location Disputes

The location of fire stations always involves political struggle and compromise. As Spokane grew so did the need for expanded fire protection, and neighborhoods competed for new stations in a city-wide tug of war. Station No. 14 is a case study in…

Spokane Fire Station No. 15: Fire, Steel, and Coal

Station No. 15 was originally located at 3009 E. Olympic, serving the small railroad community of Hillyard. The modest structure first served as Hillyard City Hall and the city jail. In 1924, Hillyard was annexed into the City of Spokane, and…

Spokane Fire Station No. 17: Time of War

Though the United States was not yet officially involved in the Second World War until December of 1941, the Spokane Fire Department established Station No. 17, located at Felts Field, for military training use beforehand. No. 17 originally opened…

Spokane Fire Station No. 18: Property Wars

Station No. 18 is the newest member to the Spokane Fire Department stations. It was opened in 1970 and located at 37 E. Cozza Drive. Unfortunately, in 1977, the property lines for the station were contested, though nothing ever materialized. The…