Riverside State Park

Spokane Park Highlights Tour

The land where Riverside State Park sits was once lands used by the Spokane Tribe and other local tribes. The Native Americans would meet at the Spokane Falls or near the confluence of the Little Spokane and the Spokane Rivers to trade or to set up a winter camp. One of the oldest buildings in Spokane County is protected by the Riverside State Park. This log structure was one of the buildings for the Spokane House, built by David Thompson in 1810.

Riverside State Park began as an effort of early Spokane residents to acquire as much land along the Spokane River to save it from further development. One of these spots was the Bowl and Pitcher. This area was the bulk of the land a few Spokane residents and Washington Water and Power gave to the State of Washington for a state park in 1933.

The Civilian Conservation Corps made its mark on the state park between 1933 and 1936 as they completed several improvements in the park. The park is also referred to as Seven Mile State Park as the CCC stayed in Camp Seven Mile. In a letter from Olympia, the state capital to Mr. Aubrey L. White dated October 1936, the state lists the improvements needed for the state parks east of the Cascades. A list is sent back in 1937 which includes park buildings, picnic areas, road construction, stone walls, fire breaks, parking, foot trails, and the bridge.

Today visitors still enjoy many of the amenities created by the CCC as well as over 10,000 acres to enjoy camping, fishing, boating, hiking, horseback riding, kayaking, tubing, swimming, snowmobiling, and mountain biking.


Bowl and Pitcher
Images courtesy of the Tony and Suzanne Bamonte Collection, Spokane, WA, Riverside State Park website, images taken by Tracy L. Rebstock, Northwest Room, Spokane Public Library, Spokane, WA.
View File Record