Hillyard is a community in Spokane that is very proud of its heritage. In 1892, this area began as a separate town northeast of Spokane where James J. Hill chose the location outside the city limits specifically to avoid municipal taxation.
The residents named their city for Hill, over his objections. The town served Hill's Great Northern Railroad which developed large facilities in Hillyard for repairing and building trains. For decades Great Northern was the largest employer in Hillyard. As Spokane's population continued to expand in the early twentieth century, the town of Hillyard voted to join Spokane in 1924.
This working class community lost its largest employer in 1982 when mergers between railroad companies eliminated the need for the shops in Hillyard. Times have been difficult in Hillyard, but the community remains committed to bettering their future.